Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Granola



Submitted by Julie Twitchell

I know I already posted some recipes, but I made some yummy granola that I just had to share. I wish I had taken pictures along the way, but this recipe is so easy.

Pour in a large mixing bowl:
5 cups rolled oats(old fashioned)
1 cup powdered milk
1 cup coconut
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped peanuts

Heat through on stove:
1 cup honey
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
pinch allspice

Pour liquid over grains and nuts mixture. Spread evenly onto a cookie sheet and bake at 225 for 1 1/2 hours. Stir every 15 minutes.

After the granola has cooked, you can add:
1 cup craisins or raisins
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup dried bananas

The great thing about this recipe is you can substitute. I did oats, slivered almonds, sunflower seeds and coconut. I probably won't add any of the fruit to mine. I might add some mini chocolate chips to entice my kids to eat it. Store in airtight containers. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oooo! We love granola--Mat makes ours though.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors