Monday, February 15, 2010

Potato Cheddar Bacon Soup


This recipe was submitted by Michelle Tolman.

7-8 small red potatoes
1 onion
4 stalks of celery
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
4 cups milk
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp chicken boullion
4 pinches parsley
1 package bacon
1 cup cheddar cheese

Cook bacon and let cool. Peel, cube, and rinse potatoes. Chop onion and celery. Place potatoes, onion and celery in pressure cooker with 1 1/2 cups of water. (if you don't have a pressure cooker, boil on stove for 15-20 minutes.) Retain water in case you need it to thin sauce.
In a large microwave bowl melt butter.
Add flour to melted butter & wisk until smooth. Add salt, pepper, boullion, sugar, and parsley. Mix together. Add milk and stir. Cook 2 minutes in microwave then stir. Repeat every 2 minutes until sauce is creamy. It will be a thin sauce, but it thickens. Add potato mixture to sauce, stir. Crumble bacon, add cheese, & stir.

Serves 8-10

5 comments:

  1. Using the microwave to make soup would be a first for me, but it sounds delish! I'll be trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this today and it is wonderful! I was a little nervous about making it in the microwave--but it turned out great! I did leave the skins on the potatoes--because I'm lazy? Well, yes, but also because I like red potato skins--makes the best smashed potatoes ever! Thanks Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had the soup tonight. Really yummy. We used turkey bacon instead of regular bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you like it! It's one of my favorite soups.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors