Monday, March 22, 2010

Tomato Soup

Submitted by Heather Hinckley

1 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 medium diced yellow onion
2 tsp. garlic minced
4 cans diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
2 cups chicken stock
1-2 cups whipping cream
2 T dried basil

  • Saute onion in oil. Add garlic and tomato with juices. Add tomato paste.
  • Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. at this point it should be chunky and start to thicken.
  • Remove it from the heat and puree it in a blender (I had to use my smoothie machine because I don't have a stick blender)
  • Return the soup to low heat and add the cream and basil.
  • Bring back to a boil for 3 minutes.
  • Season to taste.

This is great with grilled cheese sandwiches!

3 comments:

  1. Ooooo! This sounds yummy! Have you ever tried the fire-roasted diced tomatoes? I just discovered those and have been using them lately. I think they make everything even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had this last night and I think it needs a little cheese and salt and pepper. But it was really good and Zoey ate a whole bowl of it!!! score!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tomato soup! I will definitely be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors