Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Homemade Chicken Dumplings

Submitted by Angela Davis


1 whole chicken fryer
Dumplings: (my family likes these so I double the recipe)

1/2 Cup flour
1 TB parsley
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. basil
1/4 Cup milk (if you have food allergies, rice milk works great)
2 TB cooking oil

  1. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for dumplings.
  2. Take a whole chicken fryer, put it in a crock pot and let it cook all day. When it is done, drain the drippings into a large pan.(I use a strainer to catch items I don't want in my broth).

  3. Add enough water to the drippings to make 2 cups. Let chicken cool; then pull the meat off the bones and put in with the drained drippings. The chicken will fall off the bone. Some may want to skim the fat off the broth--I don't. I personally do not use all the chicken in this dish. I save some for another dinner.

  4. If you want a thicker soup, you would put in a small bowl 1/2 Cup cold water and stir in 1/4 cup flour. The pictures shows without the extra flour, it's just a personal preference.

  5. As you make the above dumplings, bring the chicken and broth flour(if you want) to a boil. You are now ready to put the dumplings in. Drop mixture from a tablespoon.

  6. Let them boil for 10-12 minutes. Put in a bowl; add salt and pepper to taste. Let it cool a little and you are ready for dinner.

It's a really easy dish to make. Hope you all enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors