Friday, December 10, 2010

Cinnamon Hard Candy

Submitted by Julie Twitchell
I got this recipe from the Taste of Homes website. I had forgotten how much I love cinnamon candy. My family would make this stuff every year for Christmas. And my kids love it too.

2 Cups sugar
1 Cup water
1/2 Cup light corn syrup
1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon oil(I used just under 1/2 tsp.)
1/2 tsp. red food coloring
  1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover and cook over medium-high heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 310 degrees (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in oil and food coloring, keeping face away from the mixture as the odor will be very strong.
  2. Immediately pour mixture onto a greased baking sheet or silicone liner. Quickly spread into a 13 inch by 9 inch rectangle. Using a sharp knife, score into 1 inch squares. Re-cut rectangle along scored lines until candy is cut through. Let stand at room temperature until dry. You might need to use the knife after cooled to keep the square shapes.

Yields 1 pound

Cook's Note: Cinnamon oil can be hard to find. After searching 3 stores, I finally found some at Hobby Lobby with the sucker molds.

Printable version

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors